• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

Union Bank and Trust Company
El Paso, Texas


Description: Union Bank and Trust Company
Other Names:
Address: 104 1/2 East San Antonio Avenue, El Paso, El Paso County, Texas
Type: commercial: bank
Original Client: Union Bank and Trust Company; E. Moye, President
Historic Inventory: nominated for the National Register; rejected in 1980; for records of these actions, contact: Texas Historical Commission, Austin
Date: 1914
Condition: extant; demolished in 2013

Architect or Firm: Henry C. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Dimensions and Orientation: four stories; faces North
Architectural Style: Classical Revival

Wall Materials: brown Roman brick on main and alley facades; utility brick on rear facade; white sandstone entablature
Roofing Materials: flat
Other Materials Used:
Remodeling and Additions: original entrance removed; entry recess brought out to the plane of the piers. In 1927, remodeling was done by Mrs. Margaret Clark at a cost of $5,000.

Present Owner: Al Schlusselberg Omega Realty; River Oaks owners at demolition
Location of Drawings:
Location of Documentary Photographs: El Paso Public Library: Ponsford 127, original front elevation; Banks file, 136

Bibliography: El Paso Herald December 13, 1913 plans drawn: El Paso Herald August 29,1914 Bank Open
(2) El Paso Herald May 26, 1927 page 12. Mrs. Clark Leases the Union Bank

Remarks: A Classical Revival building. The bank operated for only a few years before defaulting about 1920. The building has been altered for commercial and residential use.

In 1911, the Union Bank and Trust Company first began operations from the American National Bank Building. The bank was staffed and directed by pioneer merchants of El Paso which included Adolph Schwartz (Popular Dry Goods Store) It was in 1912 that the bank moved across the street to it new headquarters where it operated for only a few years before defaulting.

In 1927, Mrs. Margaret Clark in the cafeteria business took a 10 year lease on the building. Mrs. Clark spent $5,000 in remodeling. A mezzanine floor was be added so diners can eat upstairs or on the main floor. Tile floors, interior decorations and other features were added. Mrs. Clark prior lease was at the Singer Sewing Machine Building

The building was not added to the National Register because it was severely compromised by the removal of the original entrance and other alterations.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990