• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

Rio Grande Valley Auto Painting Company
El Paso, Texas


Description: Rio Grande Valley Auto Painting Co.
Other Names: DeGroff storeroom; A & A Carpets
Address: 1126 Texas Avenue, one door from southwest corner, Texas Avenue and Noble Street, El Paso, El Paso County, Texas
Type: commercial
Original Client: Charles and A. C. DeGroff
Date: 1916
Condition: extant; in use by A & A Carpets

Architect or Firm: Henry C. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Contractors: J. I. Hewitt & Son
Dimensions and Orientation: one story; faces north; 47 feet, 2 inches wide, 119 feet, 8 inches long
Budget/Cost: $7,000-$8,000

Foundation: concrete
Wall Materials: brick (painted brick on facade), with concrete piers
Roofing Materials: flat roof
Other Materials Used:
Remodeling and Additions: the facade windows were altered

Location of Drawings: none known to exist
Location of Documentary Photographs:

Bibliography: (1) Rufe P. March, “New Buildings for Year,$4,000,000,” El Paso Herald, August 26, 1916, Progress and Building Section, page 5 (owners, architects and contractor named, budget and location reported)
(2) John F. Worley Directory Co. El Paso City Directory, 1917 (Dallas: John F. Worley Directory Co., 1917), page 62 (photograph of facade); El Paso City Directory, 1918, (El Paso: Hudspeth Directory Co., 1918), page 69 (photograph of facade); El Paso City Directory, 1919, (El Paso: Hudspeth Directory Co., 1919), page 54 (photograph of facade)
(3) El Paso Herald, June 3,  1916  page 9 “$7,000 Store”
(4) El Paso Herald, June 10, 1916 page 13 (work had begun)

Remarks: The building was going to used as a paint shop in 1916, by DeGroff

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990