• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

Lincoln Residence
Tucson, Arizona


Description: Lincoln Residence
Other Names: James K. Brown house, Davis house (Lawrence Davis and Eleanor [i.e. Windsor] Davis)
Address: 422 South Fifth Avenue, Tucson, Pima County, Arizona
Type: residential: single-family house
Original Client: B.C. and C.M. Lincoln
Historic Inventory:
Date: 1901
Condition: extant

Architect or Firm: Henry C. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: possibly Robert E. Rust
Dimensions and Orientation: faces East

Wall Materials: stucco over double brick
Roofing Materials: flat
Other Materials Used:
Remodeling and Additions:

Present Owner: Lawrence and Eleanor Davis
Location of Drawings: None known to exist
Location of Documentary Photographs: El Paso Public Library: Ponsford 170; Special Collections of the Library of the University of Arizona: interior photographs

Bibliography: (1) Trost & Trost, Architects (El Paso: Trost & Trost, 1907), page 30
(2) Lloyd C. Engelbrecht, Trost in Tucson, Triglyph; a Journal of Architecture and Environmental Design (published by Arizona State University), number 2 (Spring, 1985), page 26
(3) Nancy Sortore, Armory Park family home is restored, Arizona Daily Star, January 16, 1977,
(4) Linda Platts, Armory Park means more than home, Arizona Daily Star, April 17, 1988, section J (Home), page 1

Remarks: In an interview, Lloyd C. Engelbrecht and Eleanor Windsor Davis, Tucson, February, 1985, Ms. Davis recalled that her grandfather, James K. Brown, had bought the house in 1912 from Julia and Cullen Lincoln. In the same interview, Ms. Davis described the walls of the house as double brick covered with stucco.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990