• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

Crawford Hotel
Big Spring, Texas


Description: Crawford Hotel
Other Names: none
Address: Big Spring, corner of West Third and Scurry, Howard County, Texas
Type: hotel
Original Client: A. J. Crawford, Carlsbad, New Mexico
Historic Inventory: none
Date: 1927-1928
Condition: demolished

Architect or Firm: Henry C. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost; interior decoration by Sam Burns, Ft. Worth
Contractors: Ransey Brothers, El Paso
Dimensions and Orientation: rectangular, 7 stories, 140 feet wide x 48 feet; faces south
Budget/Cost: $175,000

Foundation: concrete with steel footing
Wall Materials: brick
Roofing Materials: tar and gravel
Other Materials Used: cast stone entry, courses and ornament; galvanized iron cornice with Spanish tile coping
Remodeling and Additions:

Location of Drawings: El Paso Public Library: (E-3) 23 ink-on-linen plans, pages 1 through 23, including side, front and rear elevations, dated March 1927, Commission No. 2700; (L-7) 2 tissue plans for first floor and typical floor.
Location of Documentary Photographs: El Paso Public Library: Ponsford 583, lobby; postcard, privately owned

Bibliography: Joe Pickle, Symbol of Progress Being Demolished, Big Spring Daily Herald ,October 27, 1968, Section D, history of hotel

Remarks: Commission 2700.
The plans are for a five-story building; the completed building is seven stories. Texas Historic Sites Inventory, Site No.HOWA-046,mistakenly identifies the Crawford Hotel as the 4-storey hotel at Runnels and East Third.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990