• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

Cloudcroft Lodge
Cloudcroft, New Mexico


Description: Cloudcroft Lodge
Other Names: none
Address: Cloudcroft, Otero County, New Mexico
Type: hotel
Original Client: El Paso and Southwestern Railway Company, Colonel Charles B. Eddy, owner
Date: 1909-1911
Condition: destroyed by fire

Architect or Firm: Henry C. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Dimensions and Orientation: two stories, irregular plan: central lobby and office complex with rectangle to the rear for kitchen and dining; two wings with rooms and suites project at oblique angles; each wing approximately 120 feet long.

Wall Materials: not specified
Roofing Materials:
Other Materials Used:

Location of Drawings: El Paso Public Library: (L-20) 2 ground plans on paper

Bibliography: (1) On the Lodge, see Dorothy Jensen Neal, The Lodge 1899-1969, Cloudcroft, New Mexico ( Alamogordo, New Mexico: Alamogordo Printing Company,1969).
(2) El Paso Herald, July 7, 1908 page 6 ‘Southwestern to Enlarge Lodge if the Season is a Success’
(3) El Paso Herald, April 14, 1909 page 12 ‘B.J. Brun to Run Cloudcroft Lodge’
(4)Alamogordo News, April 16, 1909 page 3 “Brun Gets the Lodge’
(5) Bisbee Daily Review, April 29, 1909 page 8 ‘ Cloudcroft to be Opened in Near Future’
(6) El Paso Herald, May 18, 1909 page 3 ‘Getting Ready for the Opening’
(7) Alamogordo News, May 21, 1909 page 3
(8) Alamogordo News, June 10, 1909 page 4 ‘Excursion to Cloudcroft’
(9) Tucumcari News and Tucumcari Times, June 12, 1909 page ‘Cottage All Taken’

Remarks: In July 1908, the El Paso & Southwestern Railroad planned to put 25-50 additional rooms at the lodge after the season closed. In 1909, Mr. B.J. Brun proprietor of the St Regis hotel in El Paso because the new management of the Lodge. He had plans for extensive improvements for the Lodge.

In the June 12, 1909, Tucumcari Times the following statement appears ” The lodge has 25 rooms more this season than at any other time.”

Flames destroyed the Lodge on June 14, 1909. The new lodge was designed by a Chicago architect.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990.