• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

Douglas City Hall Remodeled 
Douglas, Arizona


Description: City Hall Building in Douglas
Other Names:
Address: Douglas, Arizona
Type: Government
Original Client: City of Douglas
Date: 1907

Architect or Firm: Henry C. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Contractors: Tadlock Brothers
Dimensions and Orientation: two stories
Budget/Cost: $4,500

Wall Materials: brick
Roofing Materials:
Other Materials Used: lumber and stone
Remodeling and Additions: Addition room for the enlarged fire equipment.

Location of Drawings:
Location of Documentary Photographs:

Bibliography: (1) Albuquerque Citizen September 04, 1907
(2) Bisbee Daily Review, November 27, 1907 page 7 ” Transformation of Douglas City Hall”
(3) Albuquerque Citizen, July 27, page 6 “Plans accepted by City Council”
(4) Bisbee Daily Review, November 25, 1905, page 6 “Prominent Architect”

Remarks: The original city hall was built in 1905 at a cost of $8,000.(not by Trost) Trost did summit plans for the city hall on November 25, 1905

In 1907, the city hall building was determine to be to small for the city and needed to be enlarged. In July, Trost & Trost attended  a special meeting of the city council and submitted plans for the enlargement of the city hall, so as to accommodate additional fire equipment.

In October,the Tadlock brothers began the work of remodeling the city hall. On the lower floor was the fire department.  There would be two large rooms running back the entire length of the building. The fire department  occupied the front of the building. The most modern automatic arrangement of self-hitching harness was put into place. In the back of the building was located quarters for the horses and working roomd for the men. A outdoor stairway led to the second floor, which was devoted to the headquarters for the firemen, a police court and a council chamber.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990