• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

Bassett Building
El Paso, Texas


Description: Bassett Building
Other Names: Lake House; Milner Hotel; Lockie Hotel; 1881 Building
Address: 216 North Stanton and Southeast corner of Mills Avenue (earlier St. Louis Street), El Paso, El Paso County, Texas
Type: commercial: office, retail and residence hotel
Original Client: C. N. Bassett
Date: 1906
Condition: demolished 1969

Architect or Firm: Henry C. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Contractors: Richey & Mustain was plumbing and steam fitting contractor
Dimensions and Orientation: 3 stories, rectangular with central light court; width 180 feet x depth 120 feet, 4 inches

Foundation: stone
Wall Materials: brick
Roofing Materials: flat roof (materials not determined)
Other Materials Used: cement caps and sills; galvanized iron cornice
Remodeling and Additions: See Bibliography item 3, below.

Location of Drawings: El Paso Public Library: (F-7) 16 ink on linen sheets, including schematic elevations
Location of Documentary Photographs: El Paso Public Library: Aultman A5309, perspective view

Bibliography: (1) Trost & Trost, Architects (El Paso: Trost & Trost, 1907), page 43, photograph, perspective view, and Richey & Mustain advertisement on page 72, same view
(2) El Paso Herald, May 30, 1906, page 12, description, date of August 1 given for completion date
(3) Sam Hill Ray, A Picture History of the Pass to the North (El Paso:Commercial Printing Company, 1967) page 62, photograph of remodeled entrance with 1881 Building sign, explanation that the building was renamed after a year important to the history of El Paso
(4) Frank Mangan, El Paso in Pictures (El Paso: The Press, 1971), page 120 (view of Hotel Lockie from the south in 1929, seen next to the construction site of the O. T. Bassett Tower (TXELPAC.001)
(5) El Paso Times, August 16, 1964, page 11-A, col.1, interview of Ed Carroll, in which he stated that Henry Trost was the designer of the 1881 Building, “now occupied by El Paso Sporting Goods.”
(6) “Downtown Building to Come Down,” El Paso Times, October 9, 1969, Page 1B, description of the razing of “the 1881 Building”

Remarks: occupied part of the site of the Bassett Lumber Yard

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990