• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

African Methodist Episcopal Church
El Paso, Texas


Description: African Methodist Episcopal Church
Other Names: Visitors Chapel
Address: 501 Tays, El Paso, El Paso County, Texas
Type: religious; church
Original Client: A.M.E. congregation
Date: by 1910
Condition: demolished

Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Associated Architect or Firm:
Contractors: Turbeville Construction Company
Dimensions and Orientation: one story nave with undercroft and bell tower; apparently a corner lot

Foundation: stone
Wall Materials: brick, probably red
Roofing Materials: unknown
Other Materials Used: stairs appear to be concrete
Remodeling and Additions:

Location of Drawings:
Location of Documentary Photographs: El Paso Public Library, 321, facade; Aultman A5541, perspective view

Bibliography: El Paso Chamber of Commerce, Prosperity and Opportunities in El Paso and El Paso’s Territory the 1911 Report of the El Paso Chamber of Commerce (El Paso: Chamber of Commerce, 1911), page 63: photograph (A5541), mislabeled “First Presbyterian Church”

Remarks: First listed in the 1910 city directory as the city’s only ‚Äúcolored” church. In the 1911 city directory, there were three. The building is attributed to Trost & Trost on the basis of the similarity of the bell tower to that of the First Presbyterian Church of El Paso of 1907-08 , and because the gables of the doorway and nave are similar to those found in many Trost & Trost schools.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990