• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

St. Joseph’s Parish Church & School & Rectory
El Paso, Texas

Description: St. Joseph’s Parish Church & School & Rectory
Address: Hueco Avenue, 1315 Travis and Lamar streets, El Paso, El Paso County, Texas
Type: religious: church, school and rectory
Original Client: Roman Catholic Diocese of El Paso
Date: 1938-1939
Condition: extant

Architect or Firm: Gustavus A. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost; J. E. Morgan and Sons, contractors
Dimensions and Orientation: The church, school and rectory are housed in a single two story building with a tower at the entry,

Foundation: concrete
Wall Materials: variegated brick
Roofing Materials: flat
Other Materials Used: Concrete window surrounds
Remodeling and Additions: interior adapted to contemporary uses

Location of Drawings: El Paso Public Library, Ponsford 224a, 224b, postcards of a drawing of the front elevation.

Bibliography: (1) Mary Bachicha Rasavage, A History of St. Joseph’s Parish, unpublished seminar paper, 1953; a copy is in: Special Collections, Library of the University of Texas at El Paso.
(2) The El Paso Times, September 4, 1938, page 2, Plans Given Approval for New Building to House Church and School at St. Joseph’s

Remarks: The proposal was for an entrance tower, an “Our Lady” Chapel, an auditorium, classrooms and offices. The bell tower was not built. The construction of Trost & Trost on the east wing is of variegated brick, and is easily separated from the west wing, which is of common brick.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990