• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

St. George Orthodox Church
El Paso, Texas

Description: St. George Orthodox Church
Other Names: Westminster Presbyterian Church
Address: 915 North Florence Street, El Paso, El Paso County, Texas
Type: religious: church
Original Client: Westminster Presbyterian congregation
Historic Inventory:
Date: 1910-1911
Condition: extant; in use as a church

Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Associated Architect or Firm:
Contractors:
Dimensions and Orientation: 74 feet x 74 feet, 8 inches; faces north
Budget/Cost: $25,000

Foundation: concrete
Wall Materials: brick, stuccoed
Roofing Materials: Spanish tile
Other Materials Used: wood roof and porch brackets
Remodeling and Additions: a large L shaped addition to rear and south side

Present Owner: St. George congregation
Location of Drawings:
Location of Documentary Photographs: El Paso Public Library, Ponsford 191, view from tower side; El Paso Presbyterian Church 350, 350-A, general view; A5804 and A5215, view of side; 517

Bibliography: (1) Trost & Trost Architects (El Paso, Trost & Trost, 1907), page 11, “Episcopal Church” is a preliminary drawing for this Westminster Presbyterian Church
(2) Lloyd C. Engelbrecht and June Marie F. Engelbrecht, Henry C. Trost: Architect of the Southwest (El Paso: El Paso Public Library Association, 1981), page 80, essay, page 81, illustration

Remarks: The chancel burned in 1940 when the church was struck by lightning, and again in 1958 from a fire accidentally set. During the restorations from these fires, most of the window areas were filled in.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990