• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

San Elizario Elementary School
San Elizario, Texas

 

Description: San Elizario Elementary School
Other Names: originally San Elizario Grade and High School
Address: San Elizario, El Paso County, Texas
Type: educational
Original Client: San Elizario Independent School District
Historic Inventory: two historic markers on entry arch
Date: 1935; opened November, 1936
Condition: extant; in use as a school

Architect or Firm: Gustavus A. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Contractors:
Dimensions and Orientation: T-shaped, one story, 117 feet across by 59 feet deep
Budget/Cost: $16,000

Foundation: concrete
Wall Materials: brick, stuccoed
Roofing Materials: flat
Other Materials Used: wood door and window frames
Remodeling and Additions: a 10-classroom addition, 1984

Present Owner: San Elizario Independent School District
Location of Drawings:
Location of Documentary Photographs: UTEP Special Collections

Bibliography: Proposed San Elizario Grade and High School, El Paso Times, July 25, 1935, drawing for the school and brief description; Ramon Renteria, San Elizario School celebrates 50 years–still going strong, El Paso Times, October 31, 1986, page 1-B, history of the school, photograph of entry.

Remarks: The building was designed to harmonize with the San Elizario Mission. The published 1935 drawing shows a somewhat larger school with the bell tower to the side of the main door rather than over it.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990