• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

Loretto Academy
Las Cruces, New Mexico

 

Description: Loretto Academy
Other Names: none
Address: Las Cruces, Dona Ana County, New Mexico
Type: educational
Original Client: Sisters of Loretto at the Foot of the Cross
Date: first section before 1907
Condition: demolished ca. 1959

Architect or Firm: Henry C. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Contractors:
Dimensions and Orientation: T-shaped plan, two-and one half stories; 106 feet wide x 112 feet deep
Budget/Cost:

Foundation: rubble stone
Wall Materials: brick
Roofing Materials: shingle
Other Materials Used:
Remodeling and Additions: addition, 1907

Location of Drawings: El Paso Public Library: (J-10) 18 sheets, ink on linen plans for original building and later wing, including detail of entrance ornament and side, front and rear elevations; drawing for addition dated June, 1907; A5384, photograph of rendering of completed front elevation
Location of Documentary Photographs: Museum of New Mexico, Santa Fe: 52122, general view; 52121, facade, similar date.

Bibliography: (1) El Paso Herald, August 10, 1906, page 6, photograph by W. R. Humphries of Loretto Academy at Las Cruces after addition has been erected and alterations made.
(2) Trost & Trost, Architects (El Paso: Trost & Trost, 1907), page 31, rendering of completed center and right wing and proposed addition (Aultman A5384); page 47 photograph of facade.
(3) New Mexico Magazine, February, 1947, volume 25, no. 2, pages [3], 22,37,39.

Remarks: The Sullivanesque ornament for the wing gables was not carried out. According to an informant in Las Cruces (1989), the bricks were made in Mexico and brought in by mule. The bricks were beginning to deteriorate when the building was demolished. The site is occupied by the Western Bank.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990