• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

Holy Cross Sanatorium
Deming, New Mexico

 

Description: Holy Cross Sanatorium
Other Names: formerly Camp Cody (U. S. Military camp, World War I)
Address: Northwest of Deming, Luna County, New Mexico
Type: hospital: sanatorium
Original Client: Sisters of the Holy Cross, Notre Dame, Indiana
Date: 1921; formally opened May, 1923
Condition: destroyed by fire, March 12, 1939

Architect or Firm: Henry C. Trost and Gustavus A. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Contractors:
Dimensions and Orientation:
Budget/Cost: $250,000 for conversion of the camp into a sanatorium

Foundation:
Wall Materials:
Roofing Materials: unknown
Other Materials Used:
Remodeling and Additions:

Location of Drawings: Luna County Historical Society: blue prints relating to the conversion

Location of Documentary Photographs: Luna County Historical Society

Bibliography: El Paso Times, 50 Years of Progress Number, May, 1923, New Mexico Section, page 8, rendering; Dianne May, Holy Cross Sanatorium, Deming Headlight, Thursday, June 9, 1977, history of the sanatorium;
Holy Cross Sanatorium prospectus, n.d., copy in Deming Public Library.

Remarks: The Sisters of the Holy Cross took over the hospital buildings of Camp Cody as a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients. At the time it reopened as a sanatorium, it was one of the largest such establishments in the world. The 19 buildings had a capacity for 400 patients.

The work of Trost & Trost is difficult to reconstruct, but certainly included electrical and engineering improvements. They probably constructed a new boiler house and central heating system, and very likely installed the radio inter-com systems in individual rooms.
Individual sleeping porches were very likely their additions. The breezeways between the patients’ dormitories may have been their work, and they may also have contributed to the landscaping, which was much admired in its time.

The sanatorium closed its doors in 1938 for economic reasons. In 1939, all but three buildings were destroyed in a spectacular blaze. Two other buildings were destroyed in a later fire. Only the foundations, cemetery, boiler house and steam channels remain.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990