Deming, New Mexico
Description: Deming Armory
Other Names: State Armory; currently Luna Mimbres Museum
Address: 301 South Silver, Deming, Luna County, New Mexico
Type: government: armory
Original Client: United States Department of the Army
Historic Inventory: National Register number 83001624; New Mexico Register of Cultural Properties, site 584
Condition: extant; in use as a museum
Architect or Firm: Henry C. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Contractors: W. W. Barracks
Dimensions and Orientation: two stories with elevated basement, 50 feet across x 132 feet deep; faces West
Wall Materials: red brick
Roofing Materials: tin
Other Materials Used: staff; galvanized iron
Remodeling and Additions: a wing has been added to the South
Present Owner: Luna County Historical Society, Inc.
Location of Drawings: El Paso Public Library: (H-12) 11 sheets, ink on linen plans, 9 sheets dated August 17, 1915, and 2 sheets dated December 27, 1915
Location of Documentary Photographs: El Paso Public Library: Ponsford 288, perspective view; Ponsford 289.
Remarks: Commission no. 2337.
The plans include an alternate plan. The first floor includes an open space with running track. The basement includes a bowling alley, space for billiards, a card room, lockers, kitchen and showers.
The Armory was built as a response to the Mexican Revolution, and served as a center for training troops for defense of the U. S.-Mexico border. It was not completed until two months after the Pancho Villa raid on Columbus, New Mexico (March 9, 1916). It served as a center for the National Guard until 1979. It also served as a social center for Deming, and the Guard permitted or sponsored events there.
The Armory was the first Federal Trost & Trost commission. The second was the La Tuna Federal Correction Institution of 1931-1932.
Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990