• The Gage Hotel – Marathon, Texas

    Gage Hotel
  • Bullion Plaza School – Miami, Arizona

    Bullion Plaza School
  • Hotel El Capitan – Van Horn, Texas

    Hotel El Capitan
  • Val Verde Hotel – Socorro, New Mexico

    Val Verde Hotel
  • The Owls Club – Tucson, Arizona

    Owls Club
  • El Paso High School – El Paso, Texas

    El Paso High School
  • Trost Residence – El Paso, Texas

    Trost Residence
  • Albuquerque High School – Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Albuquerque High School
  • University of Texas El Paso – El Paso, Texas

    University of Texas El Paso

Clardy Bulding
El Paso, Texas

 

Description: Clardy Building
Other Names:
Address: corner of San Antonio and Broadway (now Mesa Street), El Paso, El Paso County, Texas
Type:  store building
Original Client: Mrs. Allie B. Clardy
Historic Inventory:
Date: 1909, 1911, 1929
Condition: demolished and replace by five store rooms

Architect or Firm: Henry C. Trost
Associated Architect or Firm: Trost & Trost
Contractors:
Dimensions and Orientation: two stories
Budget/Cost: $22,500

Foundation: concrete
Wall Materials: brick
Roofing Materials:
Other Materials Used: stone and marble trimming

Present Owner:
Location of Drawings: El Paso Public Library:
Location of Documentary Photographs:

Bibliography: (1) El Paso Herald, December 4 ‘To Get Bids on Skyscraper
(2) El Paso Herald, September 7, 1911 ‘Will Build Store House on Broadway’
(3) El Paso Herald, December 4, 1929, page 4
(4) El Paso Herald, July 26, 1961
(5) El Paso Herald January 26, 1910 page 13 Bid called for

Remarks: In 1909, plans were requested by Mr. Clardy for a five story building to be erected on San Antonio and Broadway.(Broadway is now Mesa). The cost was $100,000. It is not know if the building was erected in 1909.
In 1911, a new store building was erected on Broadway north of Overland. It was a two story building. This building was erected.
In 1929, instruction was received to go ahead with plans for a five story building. She was contemplating erecting on Broadway and San Antonio street.
In 1961, the building was torn down and replaced by five small store rooms.

It was never stated if Trost did the plans for the two story building, but it is believed he did since the firm was requested twice of plans for the five story building.

Prepared for the El Paso Public Library by Lloyd C. and June F. Engelbrecht under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1990